Friday, July 18, 2008

Chocolate Oat No-Bake Cookies

This simple yet incredible recipe was first intoduced to me by my oldest daughter Amanda. Amanda is only allergic to peanuts, so when she made this in cooking class she simply omitted the peanut butter originally called for and the result was beautiful. For Emily, of course, we have had to tweak it a bit more than that. Emily LOVES oats...raw and straight out of the box! If this recipe is too "oaty" for your taste you may want to try replacing half of the oats with shredded coconut. Also, I have never tried this with other alternative milks, but the recipe seems to be sturdy enough that rice milk would probably work. If anyone does try it with rice, hemp, oat, almond, or any other milk alternative please let me know how it works for you. As is, this recipe is peanut/tree nut free, gluten free, dairy free, and egg free. Again, I would love to hear about any alterations made and how they turned out, I think this recipe could be a lot of fun to play with!

¼ c Margarine (dairy free)
¾ c Sugar
¼ c Brown sugar
¼ c Soy milk
¼ c Cocoa
1 t Guar gum (xanthan gum would probably work, I haven’t tried it)
Pinch of salt
¼ c Sunbutter
1 t Vanilla extract
1 ½ c Gluten free rolled oats
¼ c Gluten free oat flour (if all you have on hand are oats, grind your own flour in a blender, coffee grinder, or food processor)

Cover a cookie sheet with waxed paper and set aside.

Mix margarine, sugars, soy milk, cocoa, salt, and guar gum in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium low heat and boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat and add sunbutter, vanilla, oats, and oat flour. Stir well. Drop by spoonfuls (I use my trusty 1 ½" spring action scooper) onto prepared cookie sheet. Cool in refrigerator.

Now I'd better go get a picture quick before Emily eats them all!

5 comments:

Speedbump Kitchen said...

Our brains must be on the same wavelength. I was thinking about making no bakes with Sunbutter instead of PB, I'm glad to see it turned out. We're going on a roadtrip in a few days, these look like they'd travel well.

Speedbump Kitchen said...

Our brains must be on the same wavelength. I was thinking about making no bakes with Sunbutter instead of PB, I'm glad to see it turned out. We're going on a roadtrip in a few days, these look like they'd travel well.

Anonymous said...

These turned out GREAT when I made them. My wife and son send their thanks.

Anonymous said...

Also, my son is allergic to both dairy and soy, so I made it with rice milk, and it turned out quite good.

FoodAllergyMom said...

Karmazone, I'm so glad that your family enjoyed the cookies! Thank you for letting me know that the rice milk works. Many of my readers are allergic to soy so they will be happy to read this.