Wednesday, January 7, 2009

If You Can't Join Them, Beat Them!

Hmm...That title sounds a little violent. It was supposed to be a twist on the old saying "if you can't beat them, join them". You get it, right? Anyway, the point here is that as much time and effort as we put into trying to eat what everyone else is eating, it's really great when we get to have something that's even better. I have read many stories about mom's who worry that their child will be lonely and isolated at the school's peanut free table, only to find out that it is now the "popular" table and their friends are fighting over the limited number of seats. My heart sings with joy every time I make something for Emily and one of her friends asks "can I have one?". My post this week is not so much a recipe as a revelation I finally had. I have been trying to make gluten free, egg free, dairy free hamburger buns that are soft and fluffy for a few years now with no success. I have made buns that are good from Pamela's Amazing Wheat Free bread mix, but for a child who has had the cheap fluffy white buns before it's just not the same. OK...so let's go with that...not the same...how about better? Do you know how to make just about anything better to a 6 yr old girl? You turn it into a flower! Yes, it was that simple. I took 2 slices of bread and cut them with a flower shaped cookie cutter. Emily LOVED it! I could just hear the other (imaginary) 6 year old girls saying "can I have a flower bun too?"! I have done this a few times now and, although I didn't do it for this picture, I have found that you can make it more bun-like by using the 2 heels of the loaf of bread. We throw on a turkey burger, some Vegan Rella, some fixin's, and voila! Happy, happy 6 yr old girl eating her flower burger

P.S. Don't forget to save the scraps for breadcrumbs :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great idea... the mythical bun has been a sore spot in our home as well. I'll be trying this soon!

Amy said...

Awww that's a sweet looking bun!

I hope you don't mind me point this blogger out to you or even if you've seen her blog before, but she's also got kids with multiple allergies. I haven't tried these buns but they look pretty awesome to me: http://piginthekitchen.blogspot.com/2008/01/archimedes-gluten-free-bread-rolls-egg.html

FoodAllergyMom said...

I was not familiar with piginthekitchen, thank you for telling me about her. I'm glad to see that your blog is up and running too. :)

GeonHui's Bakery said...

What a cute idea and so true! I have not even tried to conquer buns...ugh. But it's good to keep in mind how can we make it different but better!

Hula said...

Wow a lovely idea, my little one is 1 next week and I think i'll turn the sandwiches into flowers too! :D Great thank you! My little girl has a blog- she has severe eczema and food allergies- here it is if you want a look :)

http://littlelifeeczema.blogspot.com/


*i'm looking for a good egg, dairy, soya free birthday cake recipe that's not chocolate...* heheh arrrgh!