Thursday, April 10, 2008

Nonuttin-Give Them a Try

You may know that I usually stick to recipes, I'm not much of a writer, but I have a story I feel compelled to share. Nonuttin (http://www.nonuttin.com/) is an allergy friendly granola bar company in Canada who's products are free of peanuts, tree nuts, dairy, egg, wheat, barley, rye, (and now gluten), trans fats, artificial colors, artificial flavors, preservatives-including sulfites, GMOs, and animal by products. I applaud them just for that, but their customer service is beyond anything I have ever experienced!
About 6 months ago I ordered a sample pack from the Nonuttin company. Admittedly it is difficult for most of us to shell out the $50 required for the minimum order, but they do offer 3 different trial packs for $10 each and these can be ordered without meeting the $50 minimum. We got our sample pack and devoured it in one day. Everything was delicious! I held on to their address so that someday when I had an extra $50 laying around I could order more...I haven't gotten around to that yet. A couple of days ago, out of the blue, I got a letter from the company detailing some problems they have had recently with their new gluten free oats and with it came a free granola bar so that we could taste for ourselves that the problem had been rectified. It has, once again it was soft, chewy, and absolutely yummy!
Apparently the owner of the company herself was tasting the products one day and realized they had a somewhat sour taste. Long story short, she found out there was a problem with the shelf life of the new oats. Production was halted and all reachable customers were notified and their products were replaced. Then they proceeded to send out these samples to all customers (even me, who had only placed a $10 order to begin with) along with a very detailed letter about what had happened and what had been done to fix it. Needless to say, they lost a lot of money in this process and I have decided it is time for me to dig deep in my pocket and make that $50 order. Not only am I ordering wonderful products that my family will love, but at this point I also feel like I am supporting a cause. This is the kind of company that all businesses should strive to be like. I want to help ensure that the Nonuttin company continues to grow and be successful. I hope that anyone reading this will also consider placing an order, even a trial pack. I want to see good people triumph!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for this info. I had heard of them before but had not tried their stuff yet. It is always exciting to hear a good review on another no-nuts product. Having more options is great. There are so many items that are off-limits at the supermarket!

FoodAllergyMom said...

You know, I shamefully admit that I blindly ignore the "may contain traces of peanuts" warnings just because they are on literally just about everything and don't really seem accurate or informative anymore. Ya know? like the companys are all just covering their butts. The other day, however, I read a statistic that 17% of the time when a product carries that warning it WILL have traces of peanuts. i guess it's time for me to start being more careful.

Jenny said...

I'm always glad to hear about nut-free products, especially granola. That seems impossible to find w/out nuts.

Also, I know what you mean about the proliferation of labels that say "traces of peanuts" but you're right to change your tune on that. I read that statistic also and it is pretty scary! All it takes is one bite and you know the rest.

I'm looking forward to trying some of these recipes. And visit my blog if you like:www.nut-freemom.blogspot.com

FoodAllergyMom said...

Jenny it's nice to meet you :)
You are a powerful writer. I was just browsing through your sight and had a tear in my eye and a twinge in my chest more than once.
Thank you for stopping by!