Thursday, May 3, 2012

Crock Pot BBQ Pulled Pork (Gluten Free) and Vegan Coleslaw

This meal just screamed summer time outdoor picnic to me...but today it's raining. Fortunately it tasted just as good indoors. I set the crock pot before I went to work. When I got home and picked Emily up from school the pork was ready to be shredded. I showed Emily how to do it and let her take it from there. She REALLY enjoyed it! I think this is her new favorite meal. My original recipe for hamburger buns is HERE , but I made them with Bob's Red Mill gluten free bread mix this time. We have also recently discovered Udi's gluten free buns. They contain eggs, so Emily can't have them, but Nikki can have eggs and Udi's is the first bread she has enjoyed since going gluten free 3 years ago. Also, if you want to skip the buns altogether, we found that Emily actually preferred to just eat the BBQ pork straight out of the bowl. Enjoy! :)

BBQ PULLED PORK:

2 to 3 lbs Boneless pork (preferably the “dark meat”, we used boneless country style ribs)
½ c Allergy safe chicken broth
½ c Sweet Baby Ray’s original BBQ sauce (it is gluten free!)
½ t Wright’s All Natural Hickory Seasoning Liquid Smoke (also gluten free!)

Pour broth, BBQ sauce, and liquid smoke into the crock pot and mix well. Add your meat and flip it around a little bit until it is coated with the sauce. Cook on low for 8 hours. Remove cover and use two forks to pull and shred the meat. Stir the shredded meat and sauce together. If the sauce is too watery, leave the lid off, turn the crock pot up to high, and cook for another 15 minutes or so, stirring occasionally, until it reaches your desired consistency.

Serve as sandwiches or as a main course, it's also very good over rice!

VEGAN COLESLAW:

1 Small head of cabbage, shredded
3 Medium carrots, shredded
1 c Vegenaise
1/4 c Sugar
1/4 c Cider vinegar
1/2 t Celery seeds
1/2 t Onion powder

Put cabbage and carrots in a large bowl. In a separate bowl mix remaining ingredients until sugar is dissolved. Pour the dressing over the cabbage and carrots and mix well. Refrigerate for an hour or so to let the flavors combine. Salt and pepper to taste.

Another thought (I've never tried this, but I've seen it on TV), you might want to pile your sandwich up with BOTH pulled pork AND coleslaw...they say it's really good.  :)

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Mom! Just spent a solid hour (which I should've used to study) going through your blog. I am so so proud of you and it makes me feel so special when I can boast about your (award winning!) blog to friends and peers. You have helped so many people and changed so many lives through your years of dedicated hard work and experimentation. I am the luckiest daughter in the world to have such a beautiful, encouraging, inspiring and innovative mother. Thank you for raising us with such love, passion and devotion.

I love you endlessly, mom!
Love, Amanda

FoodAllergyMom said...

That was hands down the best comment I have ever gotten!!! I think that's the third time this year you've made me cry (in a good way). You are one of the most amazing young people I have ever known! Your thoughts are profound and brilliant, and you express yourself with such elegance! I love you with all of my heart and soul!!!

Heather said...

Yum! I just tried out the pulled pork portion of this recipe and it came out great! Thanks for the tip about Sweet Baby Ray's being a Gluten Free BBQ sauce, I probably would have spent all afternoon checking bottle labels at the grocery store.

FoodAllergyMom said...

You are welcome Heather, I'm glad you liked it! I was scared for a minute. Sometimes I use products that I assume are gluten free, and I was praying I hadn't steered you wrong, but I just looked at my recipe again, and whenever I go out of my way to state that something is gluten free it means that I DID call the company to make sure. (Whew!) Thanks for stopping by!