Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Super Good, Gluten Free, Vegan Pancakes! (aka Pancakes for Syrup)

I have tried a lot of pancake recipes. Some of them I invented, some of them I borrowed, none of them spectacular...until now. I found this pancake recipe at Cinnamon Quill and the author was kind enough to allow me to re-post it. These are hands down the best gluten free vegan pancakes I have ever had! I had to play with my measurements a little, and my pictures aren't nearly as beautiful as hers, but both of my girls LOVE them hot off the griddle, or microwaved from a frozen state. I added some personal notes into the recipe as to what changes I made. Also, if you check out Cinnamon Quill's original recipe, she includes some helpful troubleshooting tips of her own. Enjoy! :)


PANCAKES:
1 1/4 c Non-dairy milk
1 t Cider vinegar
1 Eggs worth of Ener-G Egg Replacer
1/4 c Canola or safflower oil
2 t Vanilla extract
Oil for pan
1/2 c Rice flour
1/2 c Millet flour
3/4 c Tapioca flour
1/4 c Brown sugar
3/4 t Xanthan gum
1 t Baking powder
3/4 t Baking soda
Tiny pinch salt
Up to ¾ c of water (reserved)
In a medium mixing bowl, stir together wet ingredients. Whisk in dry ingredients, making sure there are no big lumps of flour. At this point, look at the thickness of your batter, it should be only slightly thicker than standard pancake batter. If needed, mix in a little water at a time, until desired consistency is reached. I added the full ¾ of a cup of water, but I think it is because I used soy milk (the thickest of the alternative milks), and white rice flour instead of brown rice flour.
Preheat skillet or griddle; brush with a very light layer of oil or cooking spray. Let batter stand 3-5 minutes, if it thickens too much you can still add more water. Keep in mind that thinner batter equals thinner pancakes.

Using a ladle or ice cream scoop, pour batter by the scant 1/4 cup onto the hot pan. Cook until edges look set and there are little bubbles on the surface of the cake. Flip and cook 30-60 seconds more, until bottom is golden. If you are using a non-stick skillet, you may need to lower the heat quite a bit.

Halfway through, you may need to refresh the oil on the pan, depending what kind of pan you are using.

Because they are thick, these pancakes may take a bit longer to cook, be patient, and do a test pancake to determine exact cooking time.

Makes about 18-20 5″ pancakes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My son also has a rice allergy, what flour can I replace the rice flour with. Thanks for posting this!

FoodAllergyMom said...

My first choice would be sorghum, just because it's one of my favorite flours. It's texture and flavor are closest to wheat. I'm not sure if it absorbs more or less liquid than rice, but just adjust your liquids if needed. I've played with this recipe a little and it seems to be pretty forgiving.

Anonymous said...

Thanks I will give it a try! My son is 12 and is recently diagnosed with a long list of food allergies and we are really struggling, especially with breakfast. He loves pancakes and the other recipes I have tried have a bad aftertaste. I'm thinking the brown sugar in these will help!