Saturday, February 2, 2008

The Staff of Life

Yes, my profile pic is a loaf of bread. The most satisfying loaf of bread I have ever made! When I found out my youngest daughter is allergic to gluten I set out on a quest to make the perfect allergen free loaf of bread. Up to that point I had amazed myself many times with my creations and I expected this to be the same. First I tried buying ready made, they were all like hard dry sponges...BLECH! Then I tried to make my own from scratch, mind you no gluten, no eggs, and no dairy. Every single recipe I tried came out gummy and gooey and 2" tall. I tried a few mixes but the results were the same. With every failure I cried over how my poor baby would never have a sandwich. I worried (I still worry) about what on earth I would pack for all of her school lunches to come since she can't eat one single thing on the hot lunch menu. Bread has been called "the staff of life". How can that be something you can live without? Then one glorious day my husband asked "have you tried Pamela's Wheat-Free Bread Mix?" I may have literally been one failure away from giving up hope, but I tried it...SUCCESS! I honestly can't describe the joy I felt when this loaf of bread rose...and didn't fall. It was moist but not gummy and tasted great too! I am here to sing the praises of Pamela's Wheat-Free Bread Mix!!! I have to say I was sad to find out that most of her other mixes (maybe all of them) contain dairy, but I buy the bread mix by the case. I have made bagels and english muffins from this mix too. A word of advice, use an 8"x4" loaf pan for a nice evenly proportioned loaf. and now a link to the product that changed our lives! http://www.pamelasproducts.com/Products_frames.html
I will be happy if this post helps just one person out there be able to enjoy bread again, it truely is the staff of life

No comments: