Monday, December 1, 2008

It's Cookie Month

One of my favorite childhood memories is making and delivering Christmas cookies with my mom. Every year she would start baking cookies about 2 weeks before Christmas, then she would wrap them all up and on Christmas Eve we would drive all over town delivering them to our friends, looking at all of the beautifully decorated houses along the way. She put so much work into those cookies! Every night when I went to bed she would still be up baking. There were snow balls, and spice cookies, and oatmeal cookies, and Enlgish toffee bars...I know there were more but I can't remember them all now. In honor of my mother and to indulge my memories of this time of year I have decided to dedicate the month of December to cookies. I am going to try to recreate some of my old favorites and add a few new ones too. I am also welcoming requests. If you have a favorite holiday cookie that you are not able to have anymore let me know and I'll see what I can do. MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!

*I want to make a note here that my recipes are all gluten free, but most are using the same total amount of flour as the original recipe called for in wheat flour. I'm not making any guarantees because other ingredients have been changed too, but if you can have wheat you may want to try taking out all the flours, starches, and xanthan gum in my recipes and replacing them with an equal amount of "regular" flour. Best wishes and happy baking!

4 comments:

Sistercooks.blogspot.com said...

Yay! I love cookies, but have never been so successfull at making them- I personally love snickerdooles- do you have any recipes for those or for ginger cookies?

FoodAllergyMom said...

I am definitly going to do the spice cookies! Snickerdoodles would be tricky because they have so much egg in them. You would not only need to substitute the texture of egg but the flavor too. I will add it to my list of things to tackle when I am feeling ambitious though!

Katie said...

I can't wait to see what you come up with! Cookies have been the hardest thing to get to taste right. I'd love to find some more cookies to bake with my toddler (allergic to dairy, egg, nut & sesame.)

FoodAllergyMom said...

Hi Katie. I have to tell you all of my cookies are gluten free and honestly you can probably make better (oh, did I say that?!)using wheat flour. If you use a dairy free margarine and egg replacer with a standard recipe you should be fine, although it is true that in mildly flavored cookies you may actually miss the taste of egg. Not to discourage you from trying my recipes of course! :)