Saturday, February 4, 2012

The Healthy Gluten-Free Life: Book Review and a Delicious Recipe for Ginger Lime Chicken Bites

I tried to put a link to the book here, but it's not working. If you would like to order The Healthy Gluten-Free Life online through Amazon at a discount you can use my link in my "Amazon Favorites", just look to the right of this post and scroll down (or up) a little bit as needed. It is also available through Barnes and Noble. I know I have given good reviews to cookbooks before, but this one I have been waiting for with great anticipation! The Celiac Maniac was a local bakery that made gluten free/vegan goodies, and their english muffins were outstanding. Unfortunately they had to go out of business, but there is a silver lining. Tammy Credicott (the wife of "The Maniac") wrote this cookbook, The Healthy Gluten-Free Life ...and the english muffin recipe is in it! I asked Tammy if I could post a recipe from the book and she said yes, so of course I knew exactly which one I was going to post (yes, the english muffins!). Then she brought me the book. I started looking through it and, oh my goodness, EVERYTHING looked so good! This is a thick book, full of beautiful color photographs. It contains 200 recipes for breakfasts, main dishes, side dishes, sauces and dressings, lots of yummy baked goods, and drinks. All of the recipes are gluten free, dairy free, and egg free. There are a few recipes with soy and/or nuts, but for the most part they are easily omitted, and when they can't be omitted Tammy gives suggestions for substitutions. The first 43 pages are full of stories, guidance, and lots of essential information including a wonderfully simple guide to the textures and flavors of gluten free flours, egg and dairy replacements, and nutritional info on the foods we cook with. This is a great book for anyone just starting on the allergen free journey and for those of us who still want to learn more. Well, after reading through this book cover to cover, and looking at all of these mouth watering pictures, I came to a decision...you will have to buy the book for the English muffin recipe and all the other great recipes in it...I had to make the Ginger Lime Chicken Bites first. The picture in the book kept calling to me (on that note, sorry my picture is so dark, I had lighting issues). We served our chicken bites over Thai Kitchen Stir-Fry Rice Noodles. It was everything I had hoped for, Emily and I gobbled it up and it was soooo good!!! So without further adieu, here is the recipe:

GINGER LIME CHICKEN BITES:

CHICKEN:
1 T Coconut oil
3 Boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
SAUCE:
Juice from one organic lime
2 T Bragg liquid aminos (or San-J wheat free soy sauce or Coconut Secret coconut aminos, also available through my "Amazon Favorites" at right)
1 T Olive oil
1t Freshly grated ginger
1 Garlic clove, minced
1 T Raw organic honey
1 t Granulated onion
TOPPING:
Chopped green onions
Sesame seeds

1. Mix sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken. Cook chicken, stirring occasionally, until browned and almost done. About 5 minutes.
3.Add sauce to skillet, turn heat to low, and simmer, uncovered, for another 5 minutes, or until chicken pieces are cooked through.
4. Serve with rice or rice noodles, if desired. Top chicken bites with chopped green onions and sesame seeds. Enjoy!

4 comments:

CanIEatHere said...

Visit CanIEatHere.com The Premier Allergy Friendly Restaurant and Recipe Guide.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the review FoodAllergyMom. I have been in search for a book with dairy-free recepies since my doctor put me on a strick diet with no dairy products. Also thank you for letting us use your link for a discount it'll surely help a lot! And oh yes the Chicken bites looks really great! A must try for me and I hope the kids will love it too. You may also check this one out if you’ve got a milk allergy or sensitivity, our lactose free bread might just be the healthy solution for you. Many store-brand bread-makers are still using milk in their products to give it that wonderful texture. But we’ve got a recipe that makes a delicious loaf of bread with that same texture without using milk. lactose free bread

Monica Davis said...

I made this tonight, and it was fantastic! I would use that sauce as a salad dressing even. I stir fried a ton of veggies and put the chicken and sauce over them and some brown rice. Thank you for posting a delicious allergen free meal!

Monica Davis said...

I made this tonight, and it was fantastic! I stir fried a ton of veggies and put the chicken and sauce over them and a pile of brown rice. I would use the sauce as a salad dressing even. Thanks for posting such a yummy allergen free recipe!