Friday, February 15, 2008

Banana Muffins

I would LOVE to show you a picture, but my daughters new camera is broken. These muffins are dense and moist but not at all gummy. They are a bit on the sweet side since once again they were created for my 5 yr old...Oh, who am I kidding, I'm the one with the sweet tooth! Anyway, if you leave off the topping or reduce the amount of sugar in it these muffins will be much more "adult".

½ c Rice flour
½ c Sorghum flour
1/8 c Tapioca starch
1/8 c Potato starch
2 t Baking powder
½ t Baking soda
½ t Cinnamon
2 Bananas, mashed
1/3 c Brown sugar
¼ c Oil
1/8 c Soy milk (or rice milk)
1/8 c Applesauce
½ t Guar gum (or xanthan gum)
½ t Vanilla extract

TOPPING
2 T Margarine
¼ c Brown sugar
½ c Gluten free oats
A dash of cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350. In a small bowl mix topping ingredients until blended and crumbly, set aside.
Sift or whisk together rice flour, sorghum flour, tapioca starch, potato starch, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon.
In another bowl mash bananas. Add brown sugar, oil, soy milk, applesauce, vanilla, and guar gum. Stir briskly with a whisk until well mixed. Add dry ingredients to wet and continue to stir until completely blended. Mixture will be very thick.
Put paper liners in muffin cups and using an ice cream scoop fill cups 2/3 full. Sprinkle on topping and gently pat it down so it will stick after the muffins are cooked.
Bake at 350 for approximately 25 minutes.
Makes 9 to 12 muffins depending on how large they are.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad I found your blog! I love to read homemaking blogs, but the recipes in them are useless to me...two of my kids are allergic to dairy, and the youngest is also allergic to the top 8 except for wheat (I know--we're very lucky to still have that one). Although we have wheat, I still have a terrible problem with gumminess in baked goods and, as you say, them all being 2 inches tall. I use Egg Replacer right now. Looking forward to any tips on that issue.

FoodAllergyMom said...

Dear Anonymous, I don't think I'm up to a whole blog on "gumminess" right now but i did want to just throw a few things out there. Some fixes CAN be (won't always work) Reduce oil by a smidge, or increase the ratio of egg replacer to water when you mix it (like 2t egg replacer with 2T water for one egg). I've also heard that simply baking longer can help, but it hasn't done much for me. When I think of more I'll post it, I do think gumminess deserves it's own post! Thanks for commenting :)

bella214 said...

I couldn't get my cupcakes to rise at all lol. This looks like a great recipe

FoodAllergyMom said...

Bella, you have eggs and wheat, right? I have a cupcake recipe that I can't post because it belongs to someone else. I could email it to you, but it has no wheat, eggs, or milk, so we could probably come up with an even better one for you :)