Friday, May 23, 2008

Orange Scones


Every once in a while I remember something I used to make for Emily and say "why don't I make that anymore?", then I pull out the recipe and see wheat flour and say "oh yeah, that's why!". That was the case with these lovely scones. I always loved the recipe because it was dairy free and one egg was easily replaceable. When we used to think Emily was only allergic to wheat (not gluten) we made this with spelt flour. Anyway, everything has changed now, and since I really missed this recipe I decided to rework it into a dairy free, egg free, gluten free, soy free, peanut free, corn free...sorry, I got a little carried away there...recipe. Yummy!
*My photographer (my 15 yr old daughter, and BTW thank you Amanda!) was feeling artsy this evening...I don't usually garnish my food with jewelry, but I do love the photograph!

¾ c Sorghum flour
¾ c Rice flour
¾ c Potato starch
¼ c Tapioca starch
1 t Xanthan gum
¼ c Brown sugar
1 t Baking soda
1 t Baking powder
½ t Salt
1 Eggs worth of EnerG egg replacer
1 c Orange juice
2 T Oil
1 T Grated orange rind
2 T Raw sugar (turbinado)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Grease an 8” round cake pan. (This dough is stiff enough that you could probably make the traditional hand shaped scones out of it and bake them on a cookie sheet but I haven't tried it that way yet...If you do please let me know how it turns out)

Put all of the dry ingredients in a bowl and whisk together until well blended and no lumps of brown sugar remain. In another bowl prepare the egg replacer and then add to it the rest of the wet ingredients and whisk together. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until well combined. You may need to give up your whisk for a wooden spoon at this point because the dough is pretty stiff.

Press dough into the cake pan. Sprinkle the raw sugar all over the top. You may want to press the sugar down slightly so that more of it stays on after baking.

Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes. Let cool on wire rack until just slightly warm. Turn out onto a cutting board and slice into wedges. These are a little dry (as scones are supposed to be) , so a nice cup of coffee or tea is a welcome accompaniment.

No comments: